XMUT (Xiamen University of Technology)



Xiamen University of Technology is a 300 acre campus located on the outskirts of Xiamen near some small mountains. For having 21,000 students and 1,000 faculty, it is a surprisingly quiet and peaceful campus. Yes, it is busy around lunch hour and there always seems to be some event going on, but one is not inundated with noise just by stepping on campus--and this one is very pleased with that.

From the outside, the buildings appear quite modern, and some of the structures are very interesting with winding staircases behind glass walls. Once inside, the appearance is a bit more stark and utilitarian--especially in the classrooms which all have the same basic appearance: seating for 70 in paired tables; a lectern complete with computer, projector, and microphone; a whiteboard or chalkboard (I thought I was done with those long ago); and two large A/C units--for which I am most grateful.





Although the students are obviously very limited in their English ability, they are for the most part very friendly and willing to learn. I have found my classes to be pleasant, responsive, and very manageable. Classroom management is definitely not going to be an issue this year. I just have to ask for quiet, and it is quiet, like some form of magic. One of the things that surprised me most was the number of students who wanted to take selfies with me after class. They are fun, but in maturity more like freshmen in high school rather than in college.

As for my ears, I am doing quite well, and although the class sizes are large, my schedule is very manageable. I teach nine 90 minute classes a week, all the same prep with little to no homework. So, with the low stress, I am expecting my recovery to continue well.



We also have had the opportunity of rubbing shoulders with the students outside of class. All three of us wandered through some student union booths checking out the various clubs and having some friendly conversations from time to time. The students are very interested in talking with foreigners and are certainly very friendly.








We are definitely enjoying life here so far as we broaden our experiences and increase our relationships.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Urban Decay

A Visit to an Abandoned Mall (South China Mall)

Among other gods